Are you still using Microsoft Windows Server 2003 in your datacenter? As you may or may not know, Microsoft Windows Server 2003 will be end of life as of July 14th 2015.
What does this mean for your business?
- No more patches , updates, or security fixes
- No technical support from Microsoft
- Security audit compliance risks
- Software compatibility and support with third party ISVs
Where to begin the migration process? Understand your workload. Determine what systems are critical to your business and prioritize the migration.
- Discovery – Determine what applications and workloads are running on Windows Server 2003
- Asses – Categorize all applications and workloads
Now more than ever; there are many options to consider when migrating to a newer Windows operating system.
- Target – Choose a migration target
- Physical or Virtual (Lenovo System X, Hyper-V, VMware)
- Local datacenter or cloud (Rack2) , IBM SoftLayer
- Updated application versions (SQL, IIS, Exchange, Active Directory)
- OS version (Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 R2)
- Migrate – Build your plan
- Work with Mapsys to develop systems and solutions
- Use a cloud migration service
- MAPSYS can help at any level of this process:
- Assessments – Identify systems/applications that are no longer supported
- Remediation – Develop project plan and upgrade path recommendations
- Application Migration – Migrate their applications to a newer supported platform (Active Directory, Exchange, SQL)
- Infrastructure Migration – Migrate to a virtualized workload, physical to virtual conversions, (file servers, print servers, web servers etc.)
- Infrastructure Refresh – Sizing, installation, rack/cable, workload migration services, etc.